Several health insurers and a few independent brokers have established retail storefronts to address the complexity of providing health insurance to consumers and employers. Although most retail stores focus on finding the right health insurance coverage for their customers, many of them are doing much more.
Many stores are offering wellness and education programs, health risk assessments, and biometric screenings. Some are offering physicals, flu shots and related preventive care. Customers might have the opportunity to talk with a nurse, select a network physician or even receive medical care at the location.
Consumers can pick up ancillary benefits such as dental and life insurance at some stores. These benefits are either sold through subsidiaries or benefit partners.
A few independent brokers consider the idea valuable enough to have established their own retail store to service their clients.
Here are some organizations currently offering retail stores:
- Bernard Health – Independent organization operating in Nashville, TN
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Florida – 8 stores in Fort Lauderdale, Fort Meyers, Jacksonville, Miami, Orlando, Pensacola, Tallahassee and Tampa.
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of South Carolina – Mount Pleasant, SC
- Blue Shield of California – Opened store in San Francisco in November, 2011
- HealthPlan Headquarters – Independent organization operating in Baltimore, MD
- Highmark Blue Cross Blue Shield – Operates 8 stores in Pittsburgh and Central PA
- Humana – Operates 18 guidance centers in AZ, FL, IL, MN, MO, NV, OH, TN, TX and WI
- UnitedHealthCare – Huge center opened Nov 2, 2011 to serve the Asian community in Flushing, Queens. Also operate stores in Chinatown, Hempstead, Long Island, Alhambra, CA, and Kingsport, TN
- Wellpoint – Opened a store in Littleton, CO in 2011 under Anthem name