Patient-Centered Medical Home CAHPS®
The Patient-Centered Medical Home (PCMH) model is designed to improve primary care by encouraging practices to organize around patients and work together to coordinate and track patient care as a team. While the CAHPS® PCMH survey instrument has many similarities to the CAHPS® Clinician and Group survey, it also addresses specific processes of care relevant to patient-centered medical homes.
DSS is NCQA certified to conduct CAHPS® PCMH surveys.
CAHPS® Patient-Centered Medical Home (PCMH)
The CAHPS® PCMH Survey is designed to measure patients’ experiences receiving care in a patient-centered medical home with the goal of measuring and improving care delivery.
The survey allows practices to earn NCQA distinction in collecting and reporting on patient experience. Practices can retain distinction by collecting and reporting CAHPS® PCMH data annually. Practices do not need to be an NCQA recognized patient-centered medical home to conduct a CAHPS® PCMH Survey. Practices that are not currently certified by NCQA are eligible to report results but will not receive optional Distinction in Patient Experience Reporting until after achieving PCMH recognition from NQCA.
There are two survey instruments available, both examining care over the last 12 months:
- CAHPS® PCMH Adult version (4-pt scale)
- CAHPS® PCMH Child version (4-pt scale)
Both surveys address components of care such as access, communication, self-management support, office staff, information and coordination of care. The Adult survey also includes questions regarding behavioral health care. The Child survey also covers development and prevention.
Survey results are collected and reported separately for each practice site. All eligible clinicians for the practice should be included in the survey. Eligible clinicians include physicians, nurse practitioners and physician assistants who practice in internal medicine, family medicine or pediatrics and have their own panel of patients.
DSS is certified to conduct the CAHPS® PCMH survey using several different approaches:
- Mail only
- Telephone only
- Mail with telephone follow up
- Online with invitation by email
There are two opportunities each year to submit CAHPS® PCMH data – in April and September.
Reporting is a critical link to distilling research results into meaningful and actionable information for managers and decision makers. You will have access to your results through our DSS Data Live® online reporting tools.
Our CAHPS PCMH reports are available online and will allow your organization to:
- View organizational and practice-level results in an easy to understand, concise, graphical format.
- View provider-level results if an oversampling approach is selected.
- Access reports that compare practices (and providers if applicable) to identify higher and lower performers.
We can also perform Key Driver Analysis and provide Impact Analysis to give clear guidance on how you can improve your performance.
- DSS POWeR Charts will provide graphic roadmaps for focused improvement.
- DSS trAction® Impact Analysis tool will let you play out “what if” scenarios – If you improve ratings in this area by this much then what will be the impact on the overall provider rating score?
With DSS you get:
- CAHPS® experience. Over 15 years experience as a leading CAHPS® survey firm.
- Strong value. We’ve designed our program to fulfill NCQA requirements at an affordable cost for your practice.
- High response rates. We have a history of high response rates for the CAHPS® family of surveys.
- Confidence. The confidence that comes from knowing things will be done right, all specifications will be followed and the results will be submitted properly if you choose to submit.
- Service. The members of your account team are dedicated, experienced professionals who are committed to meeting your needs from start to finish.
- Accurate results. Accuracy is not an accident; it is built on strict adherence to the methodology and proven processes.
- Clear direction for improvement. Actionable reports that identify the elements that are most important in driving patient satisfaction and loyalty and improving care.
- A robust online portal. We provide access to your survey results as they unfold through a dynamic online reporting portal. You can access Report Cards, Comparison Reports, Trend Reports and Key Driver Analysis to show you where you stand and where to focus improvement efforts.
For more information or to request a CAHPS® PCMH proposal, contact us or call 703-351-5040 and ask for Emily Waters.
CAHPS® is a registered trademark of the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ).