Advanced way to use DSS HCEI®
A More Advanced Application
At the other end of the spectrum, the application outlined below gives you much more power including the ability to apply results to all members and target communications and programs.
- Gives you everything you get with simple application.
- Add the ability to apply to all members.
- Target all members, by segments, for customized communication.
- Much bigger impact.
- DSS Health Care Engagement Index questions (16 questions in reduced form, 41 in detailed form).
- Satisfaction with health plan.
- Health status, risk assessment (HRA) and current health care usage.
- Preferred communications channels for various activities.
- Interest in new programs, tools and technologies.
- Optional tradeoff exercise regarding wellness programs and preferred incentives for participation.
Selective probability sampling of entire member population
- The entire member population used for sampling.
- Sample Medicare, direct pay and commercial members.
- Oversample HSA and direct pay members as needed.
- Oversample the sickest and least compliant members (high actionability) based on claims data.
- Mail survey approach used.
- Option to complete survey online instead of by mail.
- Incentives can be offered to direct pay and commercial members in second mailing if response rate is below expectations.
- No second mailing generally needed for Medicare members due to high response.
- Claims data for all members for three preceding years.
- Claims aggregated at the episode level so that continuing care of related conditions are summarized as a single record rather than numerous independent records.
- Claims further aggregated by DSS to focus on preventive care, illnesses, injuries, chronic conditions and congenital diseases as large groups.
- Health Risk Assessment (HRA) data used where available.
- DSS Health Care Engagement Index calculated.
- Pra (Probability of Repeat Admissions) and Brody Frailty indices calculated for Medicare members if appropriate questions included.
- Utilities computed from tradeoff exercise when available.
- Data weighted to reflect true member proportions.
- Market segmentation conducted across Medicare, direct pay and commercial members.
- Predictive model of segments developed using available member demographics, claims data and appended data from a supplier such as Knowledge Based Marketing (KBM) or Acxiom.
- Predictive model of segments can be developed using existing health risk assessment (HRA) data.
- Market segmentation solution applied to all members using the best available predictive model.
- Predictive models provided to client for ongoing classification of new members and reclassification of existing members as new data becomes available.
- Segments are prioritized based on member needs and ability to positively impact those segments.
- The highest priority segments are targeted for the first phase of plan intervention and marketing initiatives.
- Specific action plans identified for each segment to cover preferred programs, communication channels, product issues and key segment drivers.
- Advertising agency / communications team participation encouraged in development of segment personas and naming.
- Claims data are highly correlated with level of DSS Health Care Engagement Index scores for members.
- Health risk assessment (HRA) instrument improved to address engagement in addition to health status.
- Engagement scores are also strongly linked to plan satisfaction and perceptions of plan value.
- Measure member engagement more accurately.
- Assign all members to an appropriate segment and evaluate the entire member population.
- Prioritize outbound calling and mailings.
- Establish a program for early identification of new members with health issues before claims data is available.
- More targeted communications strategies and ad campaigns at the segment level.
- Identification of the best candidates for wellness programs, disease management, patient centered medical homes and other outreach programs based on member needs and receptivity.
- Improved product and benefit recommendations based on the needs and interests of each member.
- Profile large group employee populations based on segment membership and overall level of engagement prior to sales presentations.